Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Self-publishing is a NEW, OLD thing!

Famous authors who paid their way with cash, credit,or goodwill. Folks really find it hard to believe that Mark Twain is on the list , but it is true. They called it subscription selling in the early days after the printing press was invented.

Mark Twain,

Zane Grey,

James Joyce,

D.H.Lawrence,

Henry David Thoreau,

Gertrude Stein,

Walt Whitman,

Edgar Allen Poe.


Add Harry Dent to the list- Jay-2007

Is it a sin if any of us join them in self-publishing, POD, or subsidy publishing?
I know all about the stigma associated with it. Makes me think traditional publishers are trying to create fear among us lowly writers to keep out competition.

POD and e-books are taking off according to figures I saw recently.


More....



What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles. Picked up later by a traditional publisher. I bought the "picked up version, " but it didn't help me find my parachute.

The Beanie Baby Handbook by Lee and Sue Fox . I didn't get bit by this bug.

In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters. I quit trying to be perfect, so I saved $10

Real Peace-Richard Nixon in 1983. Old Tricky Dick, or as the GI's in 'Nam called him, Big ....

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. It has been reported in news media that Redfield was turned down by numerous traditional publishers, so published it himself and sold 100,000 copies out of the trunk of his car before being picked up by a TP.

The One-Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson .This one is great for those of us with attention problems.

Fifty Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth, I'm doing all I can now just to save me!

The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White was originally self published for his students.

A Time to Kill by John Grisham. Self-published and sold out of his car. The only one of Grisham's books I have ever read.

The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer published in 1931, still sells 100,000 copies annually. I don't care for a copy of it though.


How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive by John Muir. I don't know how many millions of copies of old John's book have been sold, but I bought a copy at a flea market for 50 cents.
Sold it later for a couple of dollars.

Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts. I don't want to lead anything, so I passed on this one.

Embraced by the Light by Betty J. Eadie . I've read Betty's book. Bought it from the same place I get most of my books-flea market for 50 cents.

Sugar Busters sold over 100,000 copies before a TP picked it up. I bought a copy. Yep, fifty-cents! It was a nice book, but not worth a nickel to me. I love sweets.

The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton . I don't know how many millions of this has sold, but it is way over one million. Bought my copy at the ....All my barber ever talked about was the Atlanta Braves. Get over it!

When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple . I don't know much about purple, except Purple 3. She is a nice lady


Mary Ellen's Best of Helpful Hints by Mary Ellen Pinkham. I never read this one. Don't see any reason to, but 100's of thousands of you did.

The Macintosh Bible by Arthur Naiman . I guess a million of you McNuts have bought a copy of this one. I'm just teasing you. No need to get your drawers in a wad.

Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard. I don't know whether to laugh or cry everytime I see old Elron's name. I bought a copy of this book when he was just beginning to build his fortune way back yonder. I calculate I contributed about $3.95 to the cause.
If you have never read the book, my advice is don't waste your time or money. Let me be perfectly "clear" about that.

Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan-Does about a half-million copies sold sound right to all of you who are keeping tabs?

Feed Me, I'm Yours by Vicky Lansky was rejected so many times she went out and published it and sold dang near a half-million before selling out to a TP.

The Encyclopedia of Associations by Frederick Ruffner . I've been looking for a copy of this one, but so far it hasn't shown up at my local flea market. I don't want to join any, I just want to who they are.

The Lazy Man's Way to Riches. Joe Karbo. Hahahaha! Old Joe, you old car salesman you!
I heard you up and died a few years ago, but not before you enjoyed the $20 I contributed to the cause. In all fairness Joe, I have to say it was money well spent. I already knew all about the mail order business and the power of the subsconcious, but dang it, your book was entertaining, and those full page ads....

The Christmas Box by Rick Evans. I've never seen a copy of this one, but I hear tell old Rick did quite well.

Twelve Golden Threads by Aliske Webb . How many rejections are you willing to take before you self-publish. Does over 100 sound about right to you? How old will you be by that time? Let me see! If you are 75 now, how old will you be after you have received 100 rejections? POD sounds better all the time, don't it?

Life's Little Instruction Book. I sure could have used a copy of this 50 years ago. I still don't know all the instructions. Usually I just look at the drawing and then throw the instructions away.

The Jester Has Lost His Jingle by Barbara Salzman. I don't know anything about jesters, or comics.

Let's Cook Microwave. I wonder how many Barb would have sold if she sub-titled it,
Let's Cook Microwave, Instructions Even a Man Can Understand.
"Just press the one minute button for me."


Juggling for the Complete Klutz by John Cassidy. At first I thought this was titled Playing With Kudzu, but it ain't funny when a book sells two million copies. That's real money.

Travel Free. Old Ben Dominitz does quite well with his Prima Publishing now I reckon. My old truck gets 6 miles to the gallon. I wonder how I can get to town for free.

How to Flatten Your Stomach by Jim Everrode . Everytime I see this title I think of Carnie Wilson saying " I'm Still Hungry Ya'll." I love you Carnie, and I am so proud of you.

Robert's Rules of Order. I don't much like rules of any kind so I won't comment on this one, but I got a copy.

The Self-Publishing Manual by Dan Poynter . Whooooeeee! Is there ANYBODY who has never heard of Dan Poynter? Dan, I love your books. If I am ever stupid enough to jump, or fall from an airplane, I want you to fold my parachute, buddy.

Deepak Chopra, A face only a mama could love.

Gertrude Stein, with a name like that she ought to be good.

Upton Sinclair- I don't know, but somebody told me the publishing business was a Jungle out there.

Louise Hay

Ken Keyes , I just don't like his fellows initials. KK

Carl Sandburg,

I don't know a thing about poetry,but I wrote this diddy awhile back.
Fleas, tics
tail-waggers delight
sleep all day
bark all night


Ezra Pound
Edgar Rice Burroughs , I know about Tarzan. I still holler sometimes.

Stephen Crane, 'Bout time for the Headless Horseman to come around again.

Mary Baker Eddy, I won't comment about this one. I don't want Tom Cruise and his sunglasses coming after me.



Thomas Paine, I liked old Thomas, but he ought to try living in the US of A on todays dollar.

Virginia Wolff,

e.e. Cummings. I forgot why he wrote his name that way.

Edgar Allen Poe, I loved The Raven with Vincent Price.

Rudyard Kipling, I tried to sell one of his old poetry books on Ebay and no one wanted it for $1. So much for poetry I guess.

Henry David Thoreau, Give that man an axe!

Benjamin Franklin, What can you say about old Ben that hasn't already been said?

Walt Whitman,

Alexandre Dumas, I read someplace that Alexandre Dumas had written more books than anyone who ever lived.

William E.B. DuBois

Robert Ringer. I read your book,Bobby! I liked it ok.

Red Sky in Mourning by Tami Oldham Ashcraft and Susea McGearhart

The Guide to Getting It On by Paul Joannides

Diets Don't Work , Oh yes they do!

Dry It! You'll Like It by Gen MacManiman . ? During my "back to the land days" I just had to have a copy of this wonderful book. Thirty years later and I haven't dried anything.

Life's Greatest Lessons: 20 things I want my kids to know by Hal Urban. My kids knew everything by the time they were 18, so I gave up.

Satin Doll by Karen E. Quinones-Miller . I don't know anything about romance.

Soul Mate Dissipate by Mary E. Morrison. I don't know. I'm out of diet cola.

Jay HudsonJay Hudson-author, Montgomery Gray!
http://jayhudsononwheels.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home